Teledentistry: Convenient Access to Care
Teledentistry has been gaining momentum in recent years and the need has been amplified by COVID-19 as many dental offices were temporarily closed or limited to emergency care in the spring of 2020. With the majority of dental offices now open for non-emergency treatment, there are still customers who are apprehensive about returning to the dentist during the pandemic. Teledentistry can offer an avenue for these individuals to receive virtual exams without having to visit the dental office. While not a replacement for in-person dental treatment, teledentistry is a convenient way to help maintain a happy and healthy smile in between regularly scheduled dental appointments.
Dominion National allows benefits for in-network teledentistry consultations for limited problem-focused evaluation (CDT code D0140). Any teledentistry services provided will count toward any applicable benefit frequency limitations.
What is teledentistry?
Teledentistry is the use of electronic information, imaging and communication technologies, including interactive audio, video, data communications as well as store and forward technologies, to provide and support dental care delivery, diagnosis, consultation, treatment, transfer of dental information and education. Teledentistry can provide quick and convenient access to care while saving customers travel time and time off work.
To receive a teledentistry consultation:
- Contact your dental office to confirm that teledentistry consultations are available.
- Make sure you have the proper technology. If your dentist prefers live video conferencing, you may need a smartphone, tablet or computer with a camera, as well as internet access. In some cases your dentist may request that you email or text photos to review and discuss any concerns or treatment plans during a phone call.
- Schedule your appointment.
- Review your dental benefit to confirm coverage and out-of-pocket costs, if any.
- Members on a PPO Plan – your dentist will submit a claim on your behalf (refer to your Coverage Schedule to see if a deductible or coinsurance applies).
- Members on an ePPO Plan – your dentist will submit a claim on your behalf (refer to your Coverage Schedule or Description of Services, Member Copayments, Exclusions and Limitations to see if a deductible or coinsurance applies).
- Members on a Select Plan – you will be charged for any applicable copayment (refer to your Description of Benefits and Member Copayments or Description of Services, Member Copayments, Exclusions and Limitations for details).
- Members on a Discount Program – the Discount Program does not provide a reduced fee for teledentistry services. You will be charged for any applicable fee, as determined by the provider (refer to your Description of Services & Member Fees for details).